Cherry Garcia Cookies
Serves 4 / Ready in 54min
1 cup dried cherries
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, (packed)
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup coarsely-chopped macadamia nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpat liners.
- Place dried cherries in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit 30 minutes to plump up. Drain well, pat dry, and coarsely chop.
- Whisk together salt, baking soda, and flour in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Beat in egg, vanilla, andalmond extract. Add flour mixture to butter mixture half at a time and mix until combined. Fold incherries, white chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and macadamia nuts. Refrigerate cookie dough 30 to 45 minutes to firm up.
- Drop dough by the tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets, placing cookies about 1-1/2 to 2 inches apart. Bake 12 to 14 minutes until lightly browned around the edges. Cool 10 minutes on cookie sheets before removing to racks to cool completely. Store in a covered container.
Yield: about 36 cookies
Recipe Source: Marcy Goldman, a Montreal-based food writer and professional bakery and pastry chef